Know More about Inlays and Onlays in Hicksville, NY
Inlays and onlays are types of restorations that can serve as a conservative approach to deal with cavities. These prostheses are ideal for cases that are too severe for dental fillings yet too simple to require crowns. Like any other dental restorations, inlays and onlays deals on both the aesthetic and functional properties of the teeth. These methods are also dubbed as indirect fillings since instead of placing the materials directly on the teeth, prostheses are being crafted on an off-site laboratory.
Although they both aim to restore the teeth, they also have certain differences which dentists consider. It is for them to know the best type of prosthesis to provide for a patient. Inlays are used to restore the damage that is located on the center portion of the tooth without extending on the cusps (elevated sides). On the other hand, onlays serves as partial crowns since it can cover the entire chewing surface of the teeth.
At Philip M. Tornatore, DDS, we know that inlays and onlays can be the best course of action for patients who have tooth decay. The best thing about this approach is that patients get to preserve more of their healthy teeth. However, not everyone is aware of their availability and benefits. With that in mind, we prepared the things that patients can take advantage of.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
- The prostheses (both inlays and onlays) are made to fit over the affected teeth perfectly. As a result, patients can brush, floss, and rinse normally without adjusting or using special devices.
- Compared to direct fillings, inlays and onlays offer a better seal for the teeth to prevent the reformation of decay and other complications.
- Unlike direct fillings, inlays and onlays are less likely to stain over time.
- Patients will be able to use their teeth as they usually do since the materials used can withstand regular chewing forces.
- Although they are known as “old techniques,” they can still provide effective solutions.
- The prostheses use materials that can closely resemble the patient’s natural teeth to provide a pleasing outcome.
- As mentioned above, they are more conservative since more of the natural structures are preserved.
Restore and strengthen your teeth through Inlays And Onlays in Hicksville, NY! Call us at Philip M. Tornatore, DDS to book your appointment. We are located at 404 Jerusalem Avenue Hicksville, NY 11801.