The Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) are the joints responsible for connecting the jaw to the skull. If these joints are damaged or injured, it can lead to localized pain disorder referred to as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome or temporomandibular disorder (TMD). Some of the possible causes of TMJ/TMD are stress, poor posture, teeth or jaw misalignment, bruxism, jaw or teeth injuries, arthritis, and gum chewing.
TMJ is not something that can just be ignored since the pain it causes can affect the daily life of a person if left unattended. So, for our patients at Philip M. Tornatore to know more about the said condition, we have prepared a list of things to watch out for and things to do for relief.
Signs and Symptoms of Temporomandibular (TMJ) Syndrome
- TMJ can cause hearing loss, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), and ear pain. There are even people who sometimes mistake the condition as an ear infection, not knowing that there is no issue with their ears at all.
- Pain in the facial muscles and joints that spreads to the neck or shoulders.
- Pain when talking, chewing, or yawning which can be felt in front of the ear, the joint itself or anywhere on the face, jaw, and scalp.
- When using the jaw, grating, clicking, and popping sounds can be produced due to the abnormal position of the discs in the jaw.
- Difficulty in opening the mouth widely or sometimes not fully open at all. Some people may even open their jaw awkwardly to favor the painful side.
- Headaches and dizziness which will lead to nausea or vomiting, and sometimes both.
- Swelling on the affected side of the face and mouth
- Difficulty in swallowing due to muscle spasms
- Blurred vision
- Pain at the base of the tongue
Home remedies for TMJ Relief
- Apply an ice pack to the affected area of the joint.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Avoid hard foods and chewing gum.
- Massage or gently stretch the jaw and neck muscles to provide relief on the affected area.
- Use soothing oils such as lavender, chamomile, and clary sage for relief.
If you’re suffering from a disorder that causes excruciating pain that can get in the way of using the jaw properly, do not wait any longer, seek professional assistance! Book your appointment immediately at Philip M. Tornatore for TMJ Treatment in Hicksville, NY!